The right choice!
No other drive is designed specifically for home and small office NAS systems and PCs with RAID.
Exclusive NASware technology.
Our exclusive technology, NASware™, makes WD Red thrive in the demanding small-NAS environment.
Energy efficient and money saving.
We keep power consumption low which keeps your NAS system happy and your wallet, too.
- Fill your NAS with WD Red, then fill it with awesome.
There's an industry-leading WD Red drive for every compatible NAS system to help fulfill your data storage needs. With drives up to 8TB, WD Red offers a wide array of solutions for customers looking to build the biggest, best-performing NAS storage solution. Built for single-bay to 8-bay NAS systems, WD Red packs the power to store your precious data in one powerhouse unit. With WD Red, you're ready for what's next.Exclusive NASware 3.0
Not just any drive will do. In single-bay to 8-bay NAS systems, WD Red raises the bar. Get as much as 64TB capacity, and with WD's exclusive NASware 3.0, you can optimize every single one of them. Built into every WD Red hard drive, NASware 3.0's advanced technology improves your system's storage performance by increasing compatibility, integration, upgradeability, and reliability.Built for optimum NAS compatibility
Desktop drives aren't purpose-built for NAS. But WD Red drives with NASware are. Our exclusive technology takes the guesswork out of selecting a drive. WD Red is for small NAS systems, and our unique algorithm balances performance and reliability in NAS and RAID environments. Simply put, WD Red is the most compatible drive available for NAS enclosures. But don't take our word for it. WD Red is a reflection of the most extensive NAS partner compatibility-testing list that is available on the market.*
*Compatibility list as of March 2016Desktop drives vs. WD Red
In a Network Attached Storage device, a desktop hard drive is not designed for NAS environments. Do right by your NAS and choose the drive with an array of features to preserve your data and maintain optimum performance. Take the following into consideration when choosing a hard drive for your NAS:
WD Red for Home
- Compatibility: Without being tested for compatibility with your NAS system, optimum performance is not guaranteed.
- Reliability: The always-on environment of a NAS or RAID is a hot one. And desktop drives aren't typically designed and tested in those conditions. WD Red is.
- Error recovery Controls: WD Red NAS hard drives are specifically designed with RAID error recovery control to help reduce failures within the NAS system. Desktop drives are typically not designed for RAID environments where this can be an issue.
- Noise and Vibration Protection: Designed to operate solo, desktop drives offer little or no protection from the noise and vibration faced in a multi-drive system. WD Red drives are designed for multi-bay NAS systems.
Stream, backup, share and organize your digital content at home with a NAS and WD Red drives designed to effortlessly share content to the devices in your home. Red NASware increases your drives' compatibility with your devices, TV, stereo and more. Live in a connected world.WD Red for Small Business
Businesses thrive on productivity and efficiency – two of the guiding principles built into the design of WD Red. It's the hard drive of choice for 1 to 8 bay systems. NASware 3.0 allows for seamless integration with your existing network so WD Red can share and backup files at the speed of your business. And for larger businesses with up to 16 bays, count on WD Red Pro.WD Red Pro for Big Business
If you're looking for maximum performance in a heavy use NAS, WD Red Pro delivers the same exceptional performance for the business customer. For NAS environments with 8 to 16 bays, WD Red Pro is designed to handle an increase in workload and comes with a 5-year limited warranty.3D Active Balance Plus
Ensures your data is protected from excessive vibration and noise in a NAS or RAID environment. This dual-plane balance control reduces the degradation of your drive over time.Premium support and a 3-year limited warranty
Confidently upgrade to the best in NAS performance with the assurance of a 3-year limited warranty. And with world-class support services included with every WD Red drive, you can be certain of your NAS.24/7 reliability
Since your NAS system is always on, a highly reliable drive is essential. With an MTBF of up to 1 million hours, the WD Red drive with NASware 3.0 is designed for the 24x7 environment.Cooler operations. High reliability.
By reducing power consumption, the operating temperature of your NAS stays cool. With a lower temperature in your system, you can create a more reliable solution for your NAS.Disk Utilities and Migration Tools
Acronis True Image WD Edition can clone drives, backup your operating system, applications, settings and all of your data, while also having the ability to securely wipe any data you no longer need. You can quickly and easily deploy a new hard drive to your PC or laptop and automatically migrate your operating system, applications, and all of your important data, including images, music, and documents.
- NASware 3.0
NASware grows to 3.0
Built off of our determination to deliver the best NAS experience, NASware 3.0 extends our promise by further optimizing WD Red for the NAS environment with added support for 6 to 8 NAS bays. WD Red now supports small NAS systems from 1 to 8 bays thanks to NASware 3.0, which further improves drive compatibility and reliability. At 48 TB of total capacity in an 8 bay system, WD Red really is a newer generation NAS experience.
WD's exclusive NASware technology, built into every WD Red hard drive.
WD's exclusive NASware 3.0 technology, which is built into every WD Red™ hard drive, improves NAS storage performance by reducing common hard drive concerns in NAS systems including concerns for things like compatibility, integration, upgradeability, reliability and cost-of-ownership that are experienced with a hard drive designed for desktop computers.Desktop hard drives are designed for desktop computers. WD Red = NAS.
Desktop hard drives are designed for optimum performance and reliability in a desktop personal computer. Although they are an affordable alternative to enterprise-class drives, desktop drives have a higher level of risk for potential data loss and failure in an always-on RAID configured NAS system. Specific issues that you may experience using desktop drives in a NAS or RAID environment include:
Beyond the Desktop with NASware 3.0
- Compatibility: Desktop hard drives are not always tested for compatibility in NAS and can present problems during integration.
- Reliability: Most desktop drives are not designed for the high operating temperatures or for 24x7 operating environments making them less reliable when used in a NAS system.
- Error recovery controls: Desktop drives are not traditionally designed for RAID environments and have controls that prevent the RAID controller from assisting in the event of an error which can cause the hard drive to drop off the RAID after a period of time. Rebuilding a RAID often requires several hours and can have a significant impact on downtime and productivity.
- Noise and vibration: Typically designed for single drive applications, average desktop drives are not optimized for multi-drive systems which have higher noise and vibration levels. When these drives are added to a NAS, the additional vibration can reduce the reliability and life span of the drive.
WD Red drives include WD's exclusive NASware 3.0 technology that addresses many of the challenges a traditional desktop hard drive has in a NAS system. WD works directly with our partners to test compatibility and reduce our customer's guess work as to which drive is right for their NAS system. Designed to deliver a better customer experience in small NAS systems, this innovative firmware finely balances the most important attributes of performance, power, and reliability in multiple drive environments. The unique algorithms in NASware 3.0 optimize power and performance without compromising on the attributes that NAS-system owners value.Save power and money
NASware 3.0 further improves drive reliability and protects your data in the event of a power loss or disruption. Optimized power usage of WD Red drives results in significant power savings and lower hard drive operating temperatures within a small NAS environment, improving the overall reliability and performance of the drive and reduces the NAS cost of ownership.Intelligent Error Recovery
With built in intelligent error recovery controls, NASware 3.0 also prevents hard drives from being dropped off the RAID due to extended error recovery. This feature provides more availability and less down time when rebuilding the RAID.Command Completion
To further improve reliability, NASware 3.0 minimizes the data corruption or loss in the event of an unexpected power loss by completing the command in process before shutting down.Important Features for System Integrators
In addition to features that make WD Red™ drives perfect for populating or upgrading NAS systems, NASware 3.0 brings features that system integrators need when building specialized NAS systems.
- Streaming Support - NASware 3.0 provides built-in compatibility with the ATA Streaming Feature Set, which is important for AV storage applications such as Windows Media Center.
- SMART Command Transport (SCT) support - NASware 3.0 allows monitoring and measuring of drive performance via the SMART command set. SMART can return data like thermal profiles, drive access statistics and more. NASware 3.0 also delivers temperature accuracy within 1°C.
- Power Management Support - Enables optimized power usage within the NAS system and protects your data in the event of a power loss or disruption.
- BIC Performance - Optimized seek to provide BIC performance while reducing the power and acoustics.